Part I Vocabulary and Structure(15%)
Directions: In this part there are 30 incomplete sentences. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence. Then blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. The news quickly spread through the village _______ the war had ended.
A. which B. what C. that D. where
2. We hurried to the station _______ find ourselves three hours earlier for the train.
A. only to B. in order to C. so as to D. such as to
3. I meant ________ you, but I’m afraid I forgot.
A. ringing B. being ringing C. to ringing D. to ring
4. We live in a time ________, more than ever before in history, people are moving.
A. what B. when C. which D. where
5. Is there any possibility of getting the price _______ further?
A. reduced B. reduce C. reducing D. be reduced
6. _______ you feel too ill to go out, I would rather not stay at home tonight.
A. Because B Although C. Unless D. If
7. Because of many mistakes, she was made ________ these letters again.
A. type B. to typing C. typed D. to type
8. It is hot and dry; the flowers need ________.
A. being watered B. be watered C. to water D. to be watered
9. He began by showing us where the country was and went on ________ us about its climate.
A. telling B. to tell C. to telling D. to be told
10. Our failure ________ ourselves to modern life often causes us trouble in our work.
A. to adopt B. to apply C. to adapt D. to act
11. Once ________ of the necessity of a move, he worked hard to find a new home.
A. convinced B. be convinced C. convincing D. having convinced
12. So many representatives ________ , the conference had to be put off.
A. were absent B. to be absent C. being absent D. had been absent
13. In no case ________ the students from exploring new ideas.
A. we should prevent B. we could prevent
C. should we prevent D. shouldn’t prevent
14. I don’t think it advisable that Tom ________ to the job since he has no experience.
A. be assigned B. is assigned C. will be assigned D. has been assigned
15. With all this work on hand, she _________ to the dance party last night.
A. oughtn’t to go B. hadn’t gone
C. shouldn’t have gone D. mustn’t have gone
16. As Christmas was coming, the town began a ________ clearing on a large scale.
A. through B. thorough C. though D. thought
17. E-mail writing has become the usual means of communication ________ people some distance away.
A. for B. on C. to D. with
18. It is a good idea for parents to monitor the _______ as well as the kind of television that their children watch.
A. number B. size C. amount D. screen
19. I’m afraid that there isn’t ________ for you in my car.
A. place B. seat C. corner D. room
20. It suddenly ________ to me that we could use a computer to do the job.
A. happened B. occurred C. agreed D. presented
21. The old people often raise ________ for the sake of companionship.
A. pets B. pipes C. pills D. pies
22. The river here is very wide but ________, so you can walk across it.
A. narrow B. arrow C. shallow D. hollow
23. The streets were empty ________ the policemen on duty.
A. besides B. except C. excepting D. except for
24. Don’t leave matches or cigarettes on the table within the ________ of little children.
A. hand B. reach C. space D. distance
25. — “How did you pay the workers?”
— “As a rule, they were paid by ________.”
A. the hour B. an hour C. hour D. the time
26. ______ of the students in our class are from the north.
A. Two ninth B. Second ninth C. Second nines D. Two ninths
27. My father has classes ________ day: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
A. each other B. every other C. this and the other D. all other
28. This morning Jack came to school late ________.
A. than usual B. as usual C. like usual D. like usually
29. I’m putting on weight. The doctor has warned me to _________ sugar.
A. keep up B. keep back C. keep off D. keep away
30. We were ________ for half an hour in the traffic and so we arrived late.
A. kept up B. held up C. cut up D. brought up