1. The bank is reported in the local newspaper ____ in broad daylight yesterday.
A. to be robbedB. robbed
C. to have been robbedD. having been robbed
2. ____before， his first performance for the amateur dramatic group was a success.
A. Though having never acted
B. As he had never acted
C. Despite he had never acted
D. In spite of his never having acted
3. By the middle of the 21st century， the vast majority of the world’spopulation ____ in cities rather than in the country.
A. are livingB. will be living
C. have livedD.will have lived
4. Mr. Milton prefers to resign ___ part in such dishonest business deals.
A. than take B.than to take
C. rather than takeD. rather than to take
5. No one would have time to read or listen to an account of everything ____going on in the world.
A. it isB.as isC.there isD.what is
6. There is a real possibility that these animals could be frightened， ______a sudden loud noise.
A. being thereB.should there be
C.there wasD. there have been
7. Bit by bit ， a child makes the necessary changes to make his language ___
A. as other peopleB.as other people’s
C.like other peopleD.like other people’s
8.Clothing made of plastic fibres has certain advantages over ____made of natural fibres like cotton， wool， or silk.
A. oneB.the oneC.thatD.what
9.The treasury issued an order stating that ____ land purchased from the government had to be paid for in gold and silver.
A. henceforthB.moreoverC. wherebyD.however
10.The students expected there ____ more reviewing classes before the final exams.
A. isB.beingC. have beenD.to be
11. It was during summer breaks that we first taste the satisfaction work that ____into hard currency.
A. translatesB. transfers
C. transplantsD. transmits
12.In some cases， your instructor may tell you the topics ____or may give you a choice of topics to write about.
A. in advanceB. ahead ofC. above allD. right away
13.It was the driver’s ____hat caused him to step on the gas instead of the brake after his car went over the curb.
A. fraudB. alarmC. terrorD. panic
14.Danny left this ____ message on my answering machine：
“I must see you. Meet me at twelve o’clock.” Did he mean noon or midnight？
C. implicitD. thoughtful
15.We looked for a table to sit down， but they were all ____。
A.reserved forB. engaged in
C. used upD. taken up
16.She will have to find somewhere else to work， for she can’t ____this loud noise any longer.
A. come up withB. catch up with
C. keep up withD. put up with
17.Tom ____ his new job with confidence.
A. set outB. set offC. set upD. set about
18.The truck driver was fined for exceeding the speed ____。
A. rangeB. limitC. ruleD. regulation
19.The crippled Jack proudly walked with a ____ to the platform to join the children.
A. jumpB. limpC. hopD. jog
20.He cannot ____a car， for he does not earn much money.
A. obtainB. affordC. donateD. consume
21.The message is clear： Just as tea and banana cant’t go together， ______ should the son of a low class family expect to marry the daughter of a nobleman.
A. eitherB.notC. neitherD. nor
22.Though ____rich， she was better off than at any other period in her life.
A. by means ofB. within her means
C. by all meansD. by no means
23.It is a（n） ____ attitude to take towards life.
A. absurdB. sillyC. stupidD. authentic
24.Every year， one student in our high school wins a scholarship that ____ one year of college.
A. improvesB. subsidizesC. obligesD. inflicts
25.He wrote the book in ____ with his wife.
A. proportionB. installment
C. correspondence D. collaboration