Read the following text. Choose the best word or phrase for each numbered blank and mark A, B,C, or D on your ANSWER SHEET.
Folk toys are those whose designs have passed down through the generations, made by hand and not in factories. 26 manufactured toys, they are not protected by copyrights or patents,27 have they been standardized by machine production. Early folk toys were made of natural materials28 wood, cloth, metal, earth, and29 found materials. Wood was often used 30 it was available, easily worked, and required no painting. Toys were considered unimpor- tant, so31 was written about them. A parent made toys for a child, or children themselves made toys. The toys often were 32 made and used action movements. Traditionally, fathers and boys have been most interested in33 toys, while mothers and girls have34dolls and needlework.
Folk toys include action toys, models, games, puzzles, and dolls. This basic35 can be enlarged to include skill toys, balance toys, flying toys, shooting toys, 36incorporating music or noise, and animated toys. The37 name is lost in history, and the descriptive names given to the toys38. Typical names include Bullroarer, Jacob' s Ladder, and Limber Jack.
Early settlers of the Appalachian region mostly came from Germany, England, Scotland, and Ireland, 39 knowledge of folk toys from their home countries. The designs often were40 in the process of handing them41, so now there are many variations.
The making of homemade toys decreased in42 of prosperity, when people could43 manufactured toys. Recently there is a new44 for the mountain folk toy heritage, 45 And handcrafted toys are sometimes bought in preference to manufactured toys.
26. A. Without B. Unlike C. Despite D. Besides
27. A. so B. or C. nor D. as
28. A. including B. given C. among D. within
29. A. another B. other C. such D. some
30. A. until B. while C. lest D. because
31. A. few B. something C. little D. all
32. A. cleverly B. massively C. uniformly D. publicly
33. A. action B. cloth C. manufactured D. patented
34. A. provided B. found C. created D. favored
35. A. list B. role C. feature D. goal
36. A. that B. these C. those D. which
37. A. advocator's B. creator's C. owner's D. seller's
38. A. change B. switch C. shift D. vary
39. A. holding B. taking C. carrying D. bringing
40. A. discarded B. modified C. reduced D. minimized
41. A. around B. over C. down D. out
42. A. place B. hopes C. favor D. times
43. A. copy B. claim C. buy D. carry
44. A. appreciation B. suggestion C. explanation D. identity
45. A. anyway B. however C. instead D. too